The other day, Harry got a package in the mail from Vita Coco because they have a new kids line coming out. He’d wasn’t sure about the whole concept of coconut water, but the kids flavors looked cool, so he tried them and gave two thumbs up (check it out).
We thought we’d take it a step further and make coconut water ice cream. I looked for a recipe and couldn’t find one (why doesn’t this exist?), so we made one up. And it turned out pretty great. Here you go.
We just used a very few ingredients. It’s pretty darn easy and natural (although not vegan or dairy free…however, we too are not vegan or dairy free) so I felt pretty good about it. Here’s what we did.
Coconut Water Ice Cream Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 6 oz of coconut water (1 pouch of Vita Coco kids is 6oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 pint (16 oz) heavy whipping cream
1. Whisk together the yolks, salt and sugar in a sauce pan. Then mix in the whipping cream.
2. Heat this to 180°F, and stir it a lot. This should take 8-10 minutes. (I use an electronic meat thermometer to track the temperature. It works.) You don’t want to get this too hot and scramble the eggs.
3. When the mixture hits 180°F, remove it from the heat and pour it through a fine mesh strainer (this is key…I don’t have a fine mesh strainer so I use a flour sifter, it works) into a medium-sized bowl.
4. Whisk in the coconut water. (Vita Coco kids comes in 3 flavors…we went with the cherry)
5. Immediately put the medium bowl into an ice bath to cool it (or you can skip this step and the world won’t end)
6. Put Saran wrap on top and put the bowl in the fridge to cool overnight.
7. When it’s really chilled, remove the bowl and pour the mixture into a spinning ice cream machine. The machine’s container should be completely frozen. (I use a Cuisinart ICE 21 and found it to be a good investment. I’d purchased two from the grocery store last year, and they both were large and loud and broke.)
8. It will take 20-30 minutes to make the ice cream.
10. And enjoy. The ice cream doesn’t really taste like coconut water (although I don’t really think coconut water has a taste) but like the flavor of coconut water. The cherry gave it a perfect cherry ice cream flavor. Happiness.