Almost every year between Christmas and New Year’s, I make an upcoming year’s must-do, to-do list. This year, I did the same. And by the time February rolled around, I’d completed exactly zero items and had even less energy to think about the list, much less to begin attacking it. Drat. Darn. Defeat.
But then, around March, inspired by the lovely Maggie Mason and her ridiculously fun life list, I pushed refresh to revamp and rework all my hopes into a Tax Day to Tax Day itemized life list. Very business planny. Hoping for returns, without the forms or files or fees. And according to my watch, I’m three months in. A fourth of the time spent. Gone. Done. So in the spirit of quarterly reports, I submit to you how it’s going so far.
In two words, not bad.
Of course, about a trillion kabillion life details have changed at least five times over the last three months, but the list remains the same. And it looks a little something like this.
1. Quit my lovely job. (Check.)
2. Find new, smart ways to contribute to feeding my family and my soul. (Getting there)
3. Write everyday. (So far, so good)
5. Paint the center room blue. (Check.)
6. Transform my closet into something beautiful. (Check. Will post results soon.)
7. Redo my bedroom. (Check. Will post results soon.)
8. Take more photos. (It’s happening)
9. Make 5 Blurb books… four of The Hurricane’s photos, one to document this year. (In process.)
10. Find a healthy eating plan that I love and follow it. (Found it.)
11. Find an exercise or activity (or two) that I love and do them regularly and often. (Yoga. Hot / Running. Tiarathon.)
12. Learn to cook a wider variety of items. (Starting to begin to work on this)
13. Take my Mexican food cooking to new levels of awesome. (Rocking this out.)
14. Clean a ton of stuff out of The Hurricane’s room and give it all away. (Check.)
15. Rework my blog. (Done!)
17. Go on some kind of girls retreat weekend with pals. (Broad Summit)
18. Spend a cold day at the beach. (Done! Photos to come)
19. Go to Marfa. (Planning it…in the works!)
20. Spend a few days in a quaint spot, where it’s snowing outside and warm and cozy inside. (ALT Summit! Post to come.)
21. Learn to knit.
22. Begin to make a quilt of some of the The Hurricane’s favorite clothing items he has outgrown.
23. Create three new winter holiday traditions. (Tree tradition, Christmas Eve tradition, MLK day)
24. Watch at least 10 movies, that people reference all that time, that I haven’t seen, including: Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Singing in the Rain, Four Weddings & a Funeral (done), Annie Hall, Manhattan, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Magnolia, La Dolce Vita. (Have seen one so far.)
25. Read one book every month. (Yes, I’m caught up. I’ll make you my list soon.)
26. Take painting lessons.
27. Bring more music back into my life. Make a soundtrack each quarter. (Yes.)
28. Take The Hurricane on some kind of wonderful adventure.
29. Learn how to do more with less. (Working on it.)
30. Move. (I don’t totally know what this means, but I’m feeling the need for movement…Next door? Up the street? Across town? Across the country? Not sure at all. Have no agenda on this.) (Done!)
Things are looking pretty swell. A lot to look forward to as well. Feeling pretty great about both, and all of the above.