For years now, I’ve made Yearlong To-Do Lists, Tax-Day-to-Tax-Day Lists, Birthday-to-Birthday Lists. Basically, small-section versions of the beloved Life Lists. But since moving to the country, it seems that seasons have started to matter more. Even our weird seasons in Texas. And not to go all moon-cycle Farmer’s Almanac on you, but it’s a pretty big deal around here. Almost visceral. I like that.
Also, I bet you already know this, but every season starts on the 21st (June 21st, Sept. 21, Dec. 21, March 21). So riffing off that, I wrote up 21 things I want to do before next June 21, 2012…
Things grow with the seasons…and I’m going with it.
Let’s do this.
01. Take Harry to Disney World. It’s number one for enumerable reasons.
02. Develop the practice of walking and walk a marathon. Oh heck, why not? This could be the year.
03. Refurbish the old chicken coop and get chickens. Pretty chickens.
04. Learn to make bread. And make it fairly regularly. Also, learn how to make tortillas from scratch.
05. Take painting lessons. This will be on my list every year until I actually do it. So help me Listmaking God.
06. Throw Harry a rad 6-year-old birthday party in our own backyard.
07. Buy a piece of art. Real art. For real.
08. Establish 40 go-to recipes. (In the works)
09. Install that cheery porch swing. Because seriously how hard could that be? (It’s only been on the list for two years now.)
10. Throw a dinner party on the San Marcos River.
11. Take a yoga class with Harry.
12. Drink whiskey at a pub in Ireland and scotch at a pub in Scotland.
13. Visit the Rosslyn Chapel
14. Visit Gabby in France.
15. Attend a seder at Laurie’s house.
16. Create a new event.
17. Plant some trees. A fig tree. A lemon tree. A lime tree. An apple tree. A pear tree. A pomegranate tree. And an almond tree.
18. Go to the beach with my extended family.
19. Plant a seasonal garden every season.
20. Re-do my great grandmother’s house. The never-ending item.
a. Re-do my bedroom.
b. Create a closet that’s functional and beautiful.
c. Re-do the mudroom/laundry room.
d. Redesign my living room/dining room.
e. Finish the bathroom.
f. Re-do the kitchen.
g. Make the backyard pretty.
21. And post here almost every day. This will be the hardest of all. And if I do it, I will win a prize. (I can’t wait to see what the prize will be!)